What's that, you say? An Okuma spinning reel perfect for freshwater and inshore fishing? And it's under £100? We must be dreaming!
The Helios SX is a favourite here at Nihon Fishing for a few good reasons: It's fantastically rugged, has neat features that minimise twist and torque and is machine-cut and built to last.
This spinning reel has a fancy cyclonic flow rotor. This helps to improve airflow through the ported rotor of the reel, making for a much reduced drying time if the reel gets wet - as it often does. The torsion control is similarly excellent, benefiting from Okuma's C-40X long-strand carbon fibre technology in the build.
Our opinion: Lightweight and extremely rigid in use, this spinning reel is a great budget choice for freshwater and inshore use. It's well balanced and full of thoughtful features provided by the Okuma team. Can you really ask for more when you're paying less than £100 for it? We think not. A great choice.
A few more specs to pore over:
- Light weight C-40X carbon frame and sideplates
- C-40X Cyclonic Flow Rotor for corrosion resistance
- TCA: Torsion Control Armor reduces twisting
- 8HPB + 1RB corrosion resistant stainless steel bearings
- Quick-Set anti-reverse roller bearing
- Precision machine cut brass pinion gear
- ALG: Precision AlumiLite alloy main gear and oscillating gears
- Rigid, machined aluminum, anodized handle
- Light weight, EVA handle knobs for comfort
- Precision Elliptical Gearing system
- Machined aluminum, 2-tone anodized spool
- Heavy duty, solid aluminum bail wire
- RESII: Computer balanced Rotor Equalizing System
- Gear ratio: 5.0:1
- Weight 7.1 oz
- Line retrieve: 21.9 inch with a 13 lbs drag
Package Dimensions: 4.7 x 4.6 x 3.7 inches